Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Ready or Not, Here We Go

Online Reflection #1

Summer is over and guess what? I’m thrilled! It is hard for me to contain my excitement entering this semester. Core 3 is a BIG deal and quite honestly a “deal” I have worked extremely hard to get to. Soon, I will be entering a fulfilling life long career into teaching, which has felt so far away for so long. You may need to pinch me to make sure I’m not dreaming. I do have a plan to make this year a success which I believe will spill over into my career.

As I started my internship, I went in looking for marigolds. I first discovered what marigolds were a couple years ago when reading Jennifer Gonzalez’s blog post titled, “Find Your Marigold: The One Essential Rule for New Teachers”. I suggest perusing her blog, however, if you only have time to read one, let it be the Find Your Marigold post. Metaphorically marigolds are positive and encouraging people that help you grow. Quite literally, as marigolds do, they can bring out the beauty in a sometimes-ugly scene. I am a firm believer in mindset affecting the experience and outcome of things, so seeking out those that are positive and enjoy boosting others for the benefit of all was in my mind from the get-go. I feel that I am a positive person, but emotions are contagious, and I am not trying to lose any of my bright sunshiny rays. Gratefully, I can report that I have found beautiful marigolds.

We worked on S.M.A.R.T goals with our students on the first week of school and that got me thinking. Are my goals specific, measurable, agreed upon, realistic, and time based? Naturally, I have a list of goals in my brain that could span a century, but it is important to prioritize those goals. Pulling some of those goals to the surface made me think they meet some of those requirements, but not all. The points most missed after assessing my goals were measurable and time based. In case you have issues with this too, I am posting some examples below with my new and improved goal.


Before SMART

1.      Write effective openers to engage students
2.      Write effective closers to help students process
3.      Provide opportunities for students to express what they know

After SMART

1.      I will create effective openers to engage students in all lesson plans this semester.
2.      I will write effective and diverse closers to help students process what they have learned in each lesson this semester.
3.      I will provide a safe environment with opportunities for students to engage in prior knowledge and express what they know throughout each lesson this semester.


The examples I selected are probably my top three because I feel that they are extremely important to lesson planning and without them, a well-planned lesson could fall flat.

I wish all student teachers this year a productive, joyful, successful experience. I understand our nerves get the best of us at times, my hope is that we learn to laugh off our stutters and awkward movements while we figure out our teaching style. Sometimes it helps me to think that my students can relate to my anxiety and awkward moments because they are teens. I will make it through this a stronger, more knowledgeable, and overall better teacher then I entered, just as we made it through our teens a not-so-awkward (hopefully) adult.

   

8 comments:

  1. I love what you said about being a positive person and not wanting to lose any of your bright sunshine rays! I feel the same way! It's so crucial for us to surround ourselves with positive, joyful people who lift our spirits when tough times come. Having a positive community around is important in every aspect of life and it will definitely be important as we enter into the work force as teachers!

    Your discussion about S.M.A.R.T. goals was super interesting to me, as well! I thought your before S.M.A.R.T. goals sounded fine but when I read your after S.M.A.R.T. goals, I completely understood where the difference was. I know I struggle with my goals, too. I am so happy you put this in your post because I will be teaching the second week of October and coming up with my goals for the students using the S.M.A.R.T. acronym is going to help me so much! Thank you for this! I know my goals won't be perfect as I start making them but I look forward to improving more and more with my fellow student teachers and my mentor teacher by my side!

    PS. I have had so many awkward movements and stuttering moments while teaching and I have definitely had to just laugh it off! It's fun and exciting to find my teaching style and I can't wait to continue to work on it this year and my future years as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Camille. I'm glad I was able to help you assess your goals as well.

    I, too, will be teaching the second week of October. Eeeek! This is both an excited and nervous screech. Can't wait to discuss with you how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candice,
    While I am new to blogging, I can tell you have blogged before and I really enjoyed reading your post today. I like your SMART goals and completely forgot about them until you mentioned them and gave examples. I am going to frequently visit your blog, not only because of our friendship, but because you have a great deal of things to offer. I like that you practice what you teach; it gives real world value to the things we do. For example your SMART goals are something you teach your students and something you use for yourself. (applause). I really hope that you continue your blog even after graduation and your first year of teaching. I say this (write it) because you have an abundance of things to offer your students and fellow educators. Just from this post I feel that your blog will develop into a resource for students and teachers, well done and keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Katie! Thank you so much. You know me and I question just about everything so I really wasn't sure this was valuable. Ha! I mean, I guess I just felt like maybe I was rambling in parts. I really appreciate your feedback and as always your wonderful ability to boost me when I need it.

      I actually have pondered using my blog throughout my career. If anything it's nice to be able to reference back and reflect on things throughout. I believe it helps me grow as an educator and as a person.

      Delete
    2. Yes--keep blogging! I want to share your blogs with future teachers when you're out in your own classrooms!

      Delete
  4. Candice, thanks for sharing your specific goals with us! I particularly applaud your efforts to design effective and diverse closers that help students process their learning. That is an area that I still struggle with – designing and then making time for students to process their learning, reflect, and even set goals for the next class period (or time outside of class). Thanks for the inspiration to keep reflecting and striving toward this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dr. Cramer! I worry that I struggle with this as well. I'm hoping having this on my radar will prevent me from skipping it and having lessons and understandings deflate before they really even had a chance to soar.

      Delete
    2. Love the imagery here! Your writing is a delight!

      Delete